About School Council
The Earl Kitchener (EK) School Council is an advisory group (we provide advice to the Principal) that is legislated by the Provincial Government. We:
- focus on student learning and the best interest of all students,
- provide a forum through which parents and other members of the EK community can contribute to improving student achievement and school performance,
- make recommendations to the Principal on any matter we see impacting accountability and academic excellence and;
- serve as a communication and information channel between the school and community.
Some of the topics we discuss at our meetings include Teacher and Principal updates, academic programs (reading and math), facility updates, student safety, parent reaching out grant, safe streets, Parent Involvement Committee (PIC) updates and student health and wellbeing programs.
School Council usually hosts an annual Parent Engagement Night funded through grants provided by the Hamilton Wentworth District School Board and Provincial Government.
The EK School Council is comprised of the Executive (Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary), Staff Representative, Principal, Home and School Representative and Voting Members. To be an Executive or Voting Member of Council you must attend the September meeting when elections are held for the school year.
You do not need to be a member of Council to attend or participate in meetings, all parents or caregivers of EK Students are welcome. Meetings are held along with the Home and School Association on the 3rd Tuesday of the month (December and June are most often cancelled).
Contact Information: earlkitchenerSC@hwdsb.on.ca
About The Home and School (H&S) Association
The H&S Association is an independent, parent-driven, organization of volunteers promoting both parent engagement and community participation throughout the school and within the community, supporting Earl Kitchener (EK) students and families.
The Home and School Association works independently to:
- Organize events and activities to enrich the school community and raise additional funds for the school
- Foster communication between the school and the parent community
- Determine how fundraising dollars are spent
Over the years we have run the following fundraising and EK community initiatives:
- Pizza and Milk Program
- School Nutrition Program
- Fright Night
- Scholastic Book Fairs
- Art Auction
- The Giving Tree
- EK Read-A-Thon
- Book Swap
- Mabel’s Labels
The funds raised through these initiatives have been invested into the school, students and community. More specifically, the H&S Association has subsidized the cost of school field trips, in-school student experiences, and the Grade 5 the annual end of year trip and celebration. They have purchased art cart supplies, lighting and curtains for the stage, ukuleles for the music program, volleyball nets, team jerseys, equipment sets for outdoor play and have provided funds for teacher’s classroom supplies. They have also provided various opportunities for family engagement such as Family Math Nights with Lego®& Everblocks and host an annual Staff Appreciation Day. The H&S Association also supports and/or subsidizes EK families and other school communities in financial need, and donates funds to community organizations such as, Hamilton FoodShare, Food4Kids, CityKidz, The Hamilton Foundation for Student Success, and Neighbour 2 Neighbour.
The H&S Association Executive consists of the President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary. Meetings are held monthly where all EK parents, caregivers, families, and community members are welcome to participate.
How can you get involved?
The success of the H&S Association programs depends on countless volunteers. You can find out about our volunteer opportunities in the following ways:
- Join us along with School Council at meetings in the EK Learning Commons – usually the 3rd Tuesday of each month
- Sign up for the EK weekly reminders (via https://www.hwdsb.on.ca/earlkitchener/)
- Follow our Facebook page: facebook.com/EKHomeandSchool
- Watch for paper bulletins in your child’s backpack
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to join our distribution list
2023-2024 School Year
2022-2023 School Year
2020-2021 School Year
2019-2020 School Year
2018-2019 School Year