Parenting Through COVID-19 Video Series with Roots of Empathy Founder and President Mary Gordon
As we continue in challenging times, HWDSB families may find useful a video series by Roots of Empathy founder and president Mary Gordon, designed to help parents and educators. Her videos are available in 19 languages, including seven Indigenous languages.
Videos in the series include:
- RESILIENCE: Mary Gordon discusses the importance of resilience and how it is developed through our relationships with one another.
- INTRINSIC MOTIVATION: Mary Gordon explains “intrinsic motivation”. How are children motivated? How can parents help their children to become more self-motivated?
- EXPECTATIONS: Mary Gordon helps parents manage expectations for themselves and for their children.
- PLAY: Mary Gordon describes the importance of free play in childhood, and how play helps children develop important skills.
- “NOT YET”: Mary Gordon explains the philosophy of “not yet” – that the timing of children’s development is unique to every child.
- SLEEP: Mary Gordon discusses the important cognitive and emotional processing that happens when your child is sleeping.
- FRIENDSHIP: Mary Gordon talks about the importance of friends in children’s lives and how parents can support their children as they navigate friendships during this pandemic.
- SCHOOL ANXIETY: As families prepare to send children back to school, anxiety is at a peak. Children may be anxious and parents definitely are anxious. Mary speaks to parents about the contagion of anxiety and offers guidance on how to reduce anxiety and increase confidence and resilience.
- TALKING TO YOUR CHILD ABOUT RACISM: The COVID-19 pandemic and the Black Lives Matter protests have made having conversations with your children about the state of the world essential. Mary offers support and understanding that these are difficult, awkward conversations. Parents can help children navigate the challenge and let them know there are ways through this tumultuous time – especially together.
- SHARING OUR VULNERABILITY: Parents are struggling during COVID-19. Mary Gordon has a message about sharing that with your children. Children know you’re feeling stressed – they’re feeling it too. Sometimes, admitting it gives them an opportunity to express their feelings too.
- PARENTS AS TEACHERS: During this time of coronavirus, Mary Gordon offers some thoughts and comfort to parents who find themselves in the new role of “teacher” at home. As she says, your role as teacher isn’t that new. You were your child’s first teacher – and you always will be.
- REDUCING CHILDREN’S FEARS IN THE FACE OF COVID-19: Mary Gordon has a message for all parents, all caregivers, all of us who care for children on how to ease children’s anxieties as they watch and listen to how adults in their lives react to the coronavirus pandemic.