8:45 AM - 3:05 PM
Tannis Hamill - 905.522.9690 | Email
SuperintendentLaura Romano - 905.527.5092 x 2622 | E-mail Laura Romano
TrusteeChristine Bingham - 289.339.6902 | E-mail Christine Bingham
School Council Chairs
Administrative Office Staff
Central Public School was opened in 1853 to accommodate 1,000 students in the largest graded school in Upper Canada. Central was the first public school in Hamilton. It incorporated a scheme of an integrated, rational and graduated public education system based upon a central school and primary feeders. The original building is a finely proportioned classical design. It was remodeled in 1890 to include a steeply pitched roof, round-arched windows and a heightened central tower. It was remodelled in 1934 when the clock was installed. Presently our school population represents 30 nations from around the world with approximately 29 languages other than English spoken at home.
Programs & Services
Student Scuess Supports
- Family Winter Concert Evening Performance
- Family Literacy Day
- Family Numeracy Day
- Boys’ Reading Clubs
- Daily Friendship Club
- Monthly Character Building Assembly
- Nutrition Program
- Peer Mediators
- Roots of Empathy
Extensive range of community partnerships.
- Settlement and Integration Services Organization (SISO)
- Settlement Workers in Schools – Hamilton (SWISH)
- YWCA Before and After School Program
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Hamilton and Burlington In-School Mentoring Program
- Hamilton Public Library’s MELD program to provide enrichment for our JS/SK literacy program)
- Community Liaison Officers
- Special Events Choir has performed the National Anthem at Hamilton Bulldogs games.
- Green Team
- Library Club
- Computer Club
- Swimming, Cross-Country, and Track and Field teams.
- Primary, Junior Choirs & Special Events Choir
- Knitting Club
- Garden Club
- Primary extramurals
Before/After School Program or Activities
- YWCA – Before and After School programs. Parents are asked to please contact the YWCA if interested in the program. Phone Number: 905 522-9922
Our School Plan
Our focus continues to be on Literacy. Our teachers work closely as a Professional Learning Community (PLC) with a focus to improve student successes in Reading, Writing and Oral and Visual COmmunication. Teachers are in-serviced often and, as a school, we share teaching strategies and resources. Staff employ various strategies when teaching reading to small groups. A Balanced Literacy Program continues to be a focus when instructing a class. These strategies offer students the skills needed to become strong, independent thinkers.
- Character Education is an ongoing process. There are monthly assemblies which encourage and reward the implmentation and application of the Board’s Character Attributes.
Parent & Community Involvment
- Our playground provides a play area for residents of high-density housing.
- YWCA Before and After School Program.
- Durand Neighbourhood Association has provided funds to enhance our gardens.
- Stand Up Theatre Company is providing opportunities for students to participate in theatre productions.
- Our last School Council hosted 11 members
- Parents are involved in volunteering in the library, our nutrition program, on school trips including extra curricular activities and in the classrooms, both regular and ESL.
- Fundraising is done through a direct donation process. Contributors receive a tax receipt for donations over $10.00