HWDSB Needs Community Help to Name Five Elementary Schools
Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) wants to hear from the Hamilton community in selecting names for the five following elementary schools:
- New School on Beverly Community Centre site
- New School on the Eastdale site
- New School for Ancaster Senior and Fessenden
- New School on the CH Bray site
- New School on the Summit Park site
When a new project is a result of a consolidation, planning is required for school closures, possible boundary reviews, naming of new schools and transition planning. When the project is a result of growth, boundary reviews, naming of schools and transition planning may also be required.
Suggested names should:
- Reflect HWDSB’s vision, mission, commitments and community composition;
- Provide inspiration to students;
- Have community and district acceptance;
- Be appropriate for the whole district;
- Have local community, district, provincial, Canadian or international significance; and
- Where appropriate and possible, address underrepresented groups.
Submissions, including rationale for the name of the school, must be received by 4 p.m. on Friday, March 22, 2019. Name submissions may be submitted online at www.hwdsb.on.ca/feedback, or can be sent by mail to:
Hamilton‐Wentworth District School Board
ATTN: Research Specialist (Research & Analytics Department)
P.O Box 2558 Hamilton, ON, L8N 3L1
School naming advisory committee’s will be meeting at the beginning of April, where they can select up to three names for Board consideration. The Board of Trustees are expected to approve the selected names for the five elementary schools at their meeting on May 13, 2019.
– 30 –
Shawn McKillop, APR
Manager, Communications and Community Engagement
T: 905.527.5092 x2941