HWDSB is required to support public health in contact tracing and outbreak management. Information on confirmed cases of COVID-19 that involve a student or a staff member in a school setting will be posted on the COVID-19 Advisory Dashboard. In the interest of privacy, information will not identify the student or staff member that has received a positive COVID-19 test.
Staff continue to work with Hamilton Public Health Services (HPHS) to confirm details related to contact tracing as well as procedures related to dismissed cohorts and closures. As we work with our school Administrators and HPHS, we are sharing an update with families about case management.
As of September 2021, fully vaccinated students considered a high-risk close contact of a confirmed case of COVID-19 will be able to return to class earlier if they are asymptomatic and have passed the daily Covid-19 screening tool, and are not immunocompromised.
There is a recommendation for these students to be tested for COVID-19 immediately.
For those students not fully vaccinated and deemed a high-risk close contact, they should:
- Get tested right away
- Isolate at home for 10 full days and monitor COVID-19 symptoms
Case Management Process
HWDSB continues to work with Hamilton Public Health Services. A case management team responds to cases as they are communicated to HWDSB by public health. This includes a response during the evenings and weekends.
- Families receive communication through School Messenger when their child may have been in contact with a positive case. Families are reminded to update their contact information with their school office administrator.
- Schools share with all dismissed cohorts a letter from public health, which includes instructions from public health about the end of isolation.
- A plan is created at the school to keep the student connected to the learning when self-isolation is necessary. (See Continuity of Learning).
- Subscribe to your school website for daily updates.
Relevant Guidance Documents and Sources of COVID-19 information
For mental health and well-being supports, please contact your school, or explore the online HWDSB Mental Well-being Supports.
Case Management Communication Expectations
HWDSB is committed to providing timely and transparent communication related to COVID-19 confirmed cases and outbreaks. Staff work closely with Hamilton Public Health Services (HPHS) in each case.
There are several communication steps to support internal and external communications when public health notifies staff about a confirmed case.
- Hamilton Public Health Services will share a letter to close contacts.
- School Messenger notifications will continue to be used to alert close contacts only.
- Parents, guardians and caregivers can continue to find information about confirmed cases via:
There will be no post on social media from HWDSB accounts for cases in schools. Private information or identifiers will not be shared. All public communication is approved by Hamilton Public Health.