Specialist High Skills Major
Westdale offers SHSM programming in Arts and Culture and Construction. SHSM is a ministry-approved specialized program that allows students to focus their learning on a specific economic sector while meeting the requirements for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) and assists in their transition from secondary school to apprenticeship training, college, university or the workplace. Programming is available in both Arts and Culture and Construction for all four pathways.
Each SHSM includes the following five components:
- A bundle of 8-10 Grade 11 and 12 credits that includes:
- 4 major credits that provide sector-specific knowledge and skills
- 2-4 other required credits, in which some expectations are met through learning activities contextualized to the sector
- 2 cooperative education credits tied back to the major credits
- Sector-recognized certifications and/or training courses
- Experiential learning activities within the sector
- “Reach ahead” experiences connected with the student’s chosen postsecondary pathway
- Development of key Essential skills and work habits required in the sector, and use of the Ontario Skills Passport (OSP)
For information about either of these SHSM programs, please see a teacher in the Visual Arts Department, Technological Studies Department, or Mrs. Parkes in Student Services.
Specialist High Skills Major – Construction
Specialist High Skills Major – Arts and Culture