French, Spanish, Korean
|French Course Codes||Spanish Course Codes||Korean Course Codes|
|Grade 9 Applied French – FSF1P
Grade 9 Academic French – FSF1D
Grade 10 Academic French – FSF2D
Grade 11 University French – FSF3U
Grade 12 University French – FSF4U
IB French I – FSF3U1B
IB French II – FSF4U1B
|Grade 10 Academic Spanish – LWSBD
Grade 11 University Spanish – LWSCU
Grade 12 University Spanish – LWSDU
IB Spanish Ab Initio I – LWSBD1B
IB Spanish Ab Initio II – LWSCU1B
|Grade 9 Korean – LKKAD
Grade 10 Korean – LKKBD
Grade 11 Korean – LKKCU
Grade 12 Korean – LKKDU
French has over 110 million native speakers and over 200 million second language speakers, making the total well over 300 million. It is one of Canada’s two official languages, and one in three Canadians, over 10 million, speaks French as their first language. French is a necessary language of business, government and culture in Canada and is a fundamental part of the Canadian identity.
Spanish is spoken by well over 500 million people in the world, over 400 of which speak it at home as their first language, making it the second most widely spoken and studied language in the world after English. It is also the second most spoken language in Canada’s closest neighbour and business partner the United States where over one fifth of the population speaks it as their primary language. Spanish is of enormous importance and influence in world trade, culture, history and literature. There are currently well over one million Spanish speakers in Canada.
- Korean is the easiest East Asian language to learn due to its highly scientific 24 letter alphabet based on the shapes the mouth makes.
- South Korea has the highest standard of living in East Asia.
- South Korea has the 8th highest household income in the world and is the world’s 11th largest economy.
- South Korean companies like Samsung, LG, Hyundai, Kia, among many others are important players in the Canadian and world economies.
- South Korea has a special relationship with Canada through free trade, shared military and cultural history, military alliance, and 6 month visiting rights with passport only.
- South Korean culture is very prominent and popular worldwide.
- Korea is one of the closest Asian countries to Canada.
- Therefore, learning Korean can lead to many positive experiences in your life as a Canadian!