By the Treaty of Paris, this area become a possession of Britain, in 1763.
The American Revolution drove settlers over the Niagara River, to settle in this area.
Mr Ebenezer Jones originally owned lots 16-21 in Concession 7, Saltfleet, where Tapleytown now stands.
The land for the school was bought from Mr. William Gage, and ¼ acre from the Condon Estate, and ½ acre from the C. Hildreth property.
The 1881 structure was built entirely from stone, and measured 32 x 40 feet.
There may also have been a frame school building close to the current one at one point – perhaps in the 1840-1850 time frame.
Mud Street likely earned its name as a result of being an earthen road for 40 years. It became a main route for farmers, likely heading to the Mount Albion mill.
Neighbours of the school in 1875: M. Clark, Henry Williams, Thomas Condon, John Soules, John Colville, G. Cheyne, John Burkholder, Charles Marshall, N. Penfold, J. Jamieson, John Norten, George Dewitt, John Penfold, Walter Soules, John Webb, Nathaniel Norris.
1882 – $21 for the bell for the belfry
1884 – 21 cents each for blackboard brushes
1888 – a new chimney was built for $12.98
1892-1893 – school expenditures totaled $394.64
February 1902 – school closed for a week due to an epidemic of small pox
1905 – Stanley Smith began duties as a teacher for $350 yr.
1907 – additional land was purchased (1/2 acre from Charles Hildreth for $60)
Hildreth family – different members were caretakers, trustees over many years
1913-1914 – Miss Wilkins taught for $550 yr.
1919 – boys washroom repainted to cover graffiti
1921 – cost of operating the school was now $1504.88
March 1930 – electric lights installed in the school
October 1931 – the school board found the school to be over-crowded
September 1937 – a music program was started in the school. Mr. George Merritt hired at $6 wk (itinerant basis)
1938 – added home economics class (itinerant basis)
Tapleytown continued as a one-teacher school until 1952
Attendance in 1915 was 20 students, rising to 58 in 1934
Curriculum in 1876 – mainly reading, writing, arithmetic. The Bible used extensively for reading. Supplemented by algebra, chemistry, geography and natural history.
1937 – set up maps purchased for $56.00
1945 – the new Area One Board decided to buy all supplies for students, with the exception of textbooks. Previously, students purchased their own supplies.
January 22, 1948 – a fire did significant damage to the interior of the school
1952 – School Area One Board of Saltfleet decided to add 2 classrooms, a boiler room and a washroom to the school. A corridor was put in, with new rooms added on south side of the corridor (making the school an L shape)
The addition of classrooms at Tapleytown led to the closing of original schools Lees, Tweedside and Vinemount.
1956 – added a new office, 2 more classrooms at the front, on the east side, and one classroom on the southeast.
1958 – 2 rooms were added on the southwest, plus a new staff room.
Stoney Creek dairy delivered milk to the school
Clough’s fuel supplied coal in 1954
1955 – a telephone was installed
June 10 1964 – school population quoted at 315
1964 – gymnasium + stage, three more classrooms on the south side, one room ion the north side, plus more washrooms and a custodian’s room.
1963 – Kindergarten class opened up in the old stone school.
1964 -1972- principal was Mr. Robert Coulter, superintendent was John Pell
1962-1980 – Mr. Jim Muir was the caretaker
1961 – Assumption school opened, which took some of the school population out of Tapleytown
1955 & 1964 – additional land purchased to increase playground
1966 – final addition was made, of 2 classrooms on the north side, and 2 classrooms on the south side, out to the west
Caution: Dates for additions are also listed as: 1881, 1952, 1954, 1956, 1964 and 1966 – hence, dates identified previously may be start/end dates for additions to the school
2006 JK-8 classes 225 students
2012 – JK – 8 with 197 students. Starting in September 2012 JK and SK will be on a full time basis with students attending all day, everyday.