Specialist High Skills Majors
Imagine having the opportunity to test drive a career?
Specialist High Skills Majors (SHSM) offer students in any career path the opportunity to explore an area of interest by gaining sector-specific skills and knowledge, work experience and industry certification and training.
Completion of one of these programs will lead to you graduating with a Specialist High Skills Major designation on your diploma. This red seal is recognized by colleges, universities and employers.
Watch the student video: SHSM at Saltfleet
Who are they for? Students in grade 11 and 12 can be part of this program. Students in any pathway can participate (i.e. apprenticeship, college, university, workplace/community).
SHSM programs at the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board are considered Tier 3 meaning that out-of catchment rules do not apply. Students living in all parts of Hamilton-Wentworth may attend a SHSM program at another school if their current school does not offer it. Transportation may be provided.
What are the benefits of a SHSM?
Students have the opportunity to:
– Customize their secondary school education to suit their interests and talents
– Develop specialized knowledge and skills
– Gain important skills on the job with actual employers, at skills training centres and at post-secondary institutions
– Earn valuable industry certifications, including Standard First Aid and CPR qualifications
What are the requirements? Students are required to complete a bundle of credits that consists of:
– 4 major credits in the sector
– 3 or 4 other required credits (English, math, science and business) where Contextualized Learning Activities will be completed
– 2 cooperative education credits (an additional credit in coop can be substituted for the required business credit)
– certification and training embedded in the pathway (i.e. Standard First Aid and CPR, WHMIS, conflict resolution, customer service training, fall protection, scaffold safety, tree planting and pruning)
– experiential learning and reach ahead experiences in the sector
For more specific information on each of these SHSMs use the menu bar on the left of this page to navigate to its each webpage.
For more information:
– Contact Saltfleet’s Student Services Department
Please also refer to the “Fact Sheet” for more information.