8:50 AM - 3:10 PM
Visit our child care website.
Charon Buck - 905.387.3350 | Email Charon Buck
SuperintendentLaura Romano - 905.527.5092 x 2622 | E-mail Laura Romano
TrusteeWes Hicks - 905.383.2222 | E-mail Wes Hicks
School Council Chair
Administrative Office Staff
- Mrs. Nancy Nicosia
- Mrs. Irene Eke
- Ms. Julie Harris
R.A. Riddell elementary school is located on Hamilton’s West Mountain just south of the Lincoln Alexander Parkway. The school serves 745 students representing a variety of languages and cultures. The school was built in 1973 and has gone through a number of renovations. We created a weight room and an exercise room. Our most recent renovation replaced the tile floor in the gym with a state of the art wooden floor.
Programs & Services
Student Success Supports
- Neighbour to Neighbour Reading Program
- Nutrition Program
- Soar to Success Reading Intervention Program
- Adult Volunteers
- Library Volunteers
- ESL Classes support R.A. Riddell’s English Language Learners (nearly 11% of the student population)
- Learning Resource Programs
Sport Academy Program
Club and High Potential Athletes
Sport Academies have been in existence in Canada for over twenty years. The Academies provide a supportive learning environment and flexible timetabling to allow students enrolled in the program the opportunity to significantly advance their athletic skills while achieving a high level of academic success.
- A future in which all students achieve their full potential
- Educating all students to become life long learners and contributing citizens in a challenging, changing multi-cultural world
- We will model behaviours and choices that demonstrate a healthy and well-rounded lifestyle.
- We will encourage students to discover their individual skills and potential.
- We will build their confidence through supporting their endeavours and celebrating their successes.
- With the help of McMaster University, and HWDSB, the school has installed a new fitness center. Add to this two gyms, one of which is 90 x 56 ft with a state-of-the-art wooden floor, and Riddell becomes a perfect facility at which to train.
- Sport Academy Program
- Club and High Potential Athletes
- Basketball Focus
- Use of two fitness centers and air conditioned 90 x 50 foot gym with a wooden floor
- Flexible academic programming to accommodate individual training needs.
- Grade 6, 7, and 8 Basketball Focus
- Grade 7 & 8 club/ high potential
- Training at McMaster University
- ESL classes
- Instrumental Music Gr. 6-8
- Differentiated Physical Education Program for Middle School students
- Student Council
- Forest of Reading
- Sketching Club
- Grade 3 & 6 Book club
- Kindergarten Helpers
- Bus Monitors
- Lunchroom Helpers
- Nutrition Volunteers
- Green Gals- Environmental Club
- Nature Club
Before/After School Program or Activities
- Instrumental Music- Band
- Track & Field
- Cross Country
- Junior & Middle School Swim Teams
- Flag Football
- Floor Hockey
- Intramural Sports at Lunch
Our School Plan
- Comprehensive Literacy
- Shared and Guided Reading Focus
- Writing Content Focus-Write Traits
- Differentiated Instruction
- Professional Learning Communities
- Mathematics- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Learning through technology
Our Curriculum Initiative will continue to focus on helping students improve their reading, writing, critical thinking and problem solving skills. We are committed to using technology as a learning tool. With the help of our staff, parents and volunteers we have a wonderful Learning Community that believes in helping all students achieve their full potential.
- We have a monthly Character Education focus and recognition assemblies
- We highlight a learning skills focus each week and choose students of the week and hold weekly “Caught’ya” draws
- “School Letter” program enables students to earn their school letter based on their involvement in all aspects of the school
- We continue to collect data about our students to inform instructional practice
- Staff and students at RA Riddell are focusing on Character Education. Anti-bullying strategies combined with monthly character traits form the foundation of daily respectful interaction. It is very important that all members of our community interact with each other in a respectful manner. Adults are important role models for our younger students and can encourage them to make the right decisions.We want all students to feel safe at school.
Parent & Community Involvement
- Co-op Placements from Secondary School
- Today’s Family Daycare
- Student Teacher placements in grades K-8
- Neighbour to Neighbour Primary Reading Program
- Nutrition Program support from local business (Johnston Motors)
- Active School Council
- Involved in Curriculum and Environment Initiatives
- Volunteer opportunities