Parent Involvement Committee

Email Summary February 16, 2014 – March 15, 2014

Last updated on Wednesday, November 09, 2016

COPA (Le Centre ontarien de prévention des agressions) is a non-profit provincial Francophone organization, with bilingual capacity, that serves as an award-winning centre of excellence in the field of bullying and violence prevention as well as equity and inclusive education. One of their featured stories this month:

JAROME IGINLA: HOW THE NHL’S FIRST BLACK CAPTAIN GIVES BACK  – book written by Nicole Mortillaro about Jarome Iginla (Iggy), the first black person to become captain of an NHL Hockey team, the Calgary Flames.  Read about Ms. Mortillaro’s reasons for writing about Jarome, as well as about his ongoing commitment to social justice and positive modeling for youth.

Turning 18 this year?  Don’t forget to sign up to vote! – If you are at least 18 years of age, a Canadian citizen and a resident of Ontario, you can participate in the democratic process as a voter or a candidate. You first need to add your name and where you reside and fill out a form. You can vote on election day, at an Advance Poll or in person or by mail using Special ballot.   Visit: elections.on.ca.  Don’t forget this is an election year in Ontario with Municipal Elections taking place this October.  Voting is an important democratic process – make sure you exercise your right to vote!

Holocaust Education Committee – is pleased to inform you that the Hamilton Jewish Federation Holocaust Education Committee will be presenting its 16th Annual Student Seminar on the Holocaust, Lessons from the Past Encourage us to be Upstanders at Mohawk College on Friday, April 11, 2014 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. The 1,000 students that attend this symposium draw from subject areas such as History, English, Law, Drama and Religious Studies. The seminar is open to all students that have completed the unit on WWll History. Each school is allocated 40 spaces including staff. RSVP by March 31st to Elaine Levine, elevine@jewishhamilton.org.

NOMINATE AN EXCEPTIONAL TEACHER TODAY!
Prime Minister’s Awards for Teaching Excellence – Nomination Deadline: April 15, 2014. Has your child and your family experienced having an exceptional teacher? Here’s an opportunity to have their efforts recognized in a big way.

WESLEY URBAN MINISTRIES – 22nd Wesley Open Golf Tournament
For information on sponsorship and participation opportunities for the 22nd Wesley Open Golf Tournament, on Monday, September 8, 2014, visit  www.wesley.ca Wesley Urban MInistries supports children and youth in Hamilton’s high priority neighbourhoods.

New Supports for Youth Leaving CareThe Ontario Ministry of Youth and Child Services is providing new and additional support for young people leaving the care of Children’s Aid Societies.

• Youth-in-Transition worker positions across the province – 50 new positions will be created across the province to assist young people ages 16-24
  • Aftercare Benefits Initiative – this new initiative will be starting this summer and will support eligible young people ages 21 to 24, who were previously in the care of a Children’s Aid Society.

Both the Youth-in-Transition Worker program and the Aftercare Benefits Initiative were developed in response to recommendations made in the Youth Leaving Care Working Group report, “A Blueprint for Fundamental Change to Ontario’s Child Welfare System,” released in 2013.

HWDSB Student Voice Forum

CHCH News and The Hamilton Spectator media coverage of the Student Voice Forum, held recently.

Ontario Geneological Society Essay Contest for Grade 11 & 12 students

The Dr. Don Brearley Genealogical Essay Prize is open to secondary school students in grades 11 and 12 in any Ontario school. Entrants are to write a paper on a topic within family history.  The winner will receive a prize of $500 and publication in Families.  See the Guidelines for complete information. Submission deadline is April 1 of each year (or the following business day should this date fall on a weekend).  Sponsored by the Ontario Geneological Society.

Active and Safe Routes to School – Did you know some routes in your neighbourhood are better for walking and biking than others?  Help your child map out this route!  How can we work with our school community partners to the best and safest routes for all of our children to get to and from school?  This month’s infographic….

People for Education March newsletter
Articles of interest include:

• New report says students making course choices too young
  • Some systems re-thinking streaming students
  • Fraser Institute’s school rankings don’t add up
  • Does citizenship count in our schools?

Save the Date! One-Day Difference Conference – Supporting LGBTQ Youth and the Families
Free one day conference sponsored by Saturday, April 26, 2014, 8:30 am-3:30 pm, at Glendale Secondary School. Watch for registration information coming at the end of March!

School Council Chairs Networking Nights – April 2 & 16
School Council Chairs are invited to participate in an open forum discussion to come together, meet, and brainstorm different ideas for their councils. Please choose one of the two dates and locations below:

Wednesday April 2 at Sir John A. Macdonald Cafeteria

Wednesday April 16 at Hill Park Secondary Cafeteria

A light dinner will be available at 6pm with the meeting starting at 6:30pm to 9:00pm.  Please RSVP and advise of any child minding requests to Deb Avetissian (Debbie.Avetissian@hwdsb.on.ca) no later than Monday March 31 (for the April 02 session) and Monday April 14 (for the April 16 session).

Textsize
A A A