8:50 AM - 3:10 PM
Erin Birch-Jones - 905.545.6216 | Email Erin Birch-Jones
SuperintendentPaul Denomme - 905.527.5092 x 2304 | E-mail Paul Denomme
TrusteeRay Mulholland - 905.547.2237 | E-mail Ray Mulholland
School Council Chair
Mrs. Randi Mellen
Administrative Office Staff
Built in 1947 Parkdale School has a long history with the surrounding community acting as a school, community activity centre and even a public theatre. During the winter of 1967, a bad storm hit the area, a bus hit a new hydro pole on Barton Street and it was snapped off at the base. An innovative teacher name Mr. Moir saw an opportunity to create a school project and so began our famous totem pole. It was delivered to the school and put on saw horses, then divided into 3 foot sections. The entire school from Kindergarten to grade 6 became involved in the transformation of the pole. The school at the time was exploring theme teaching and each class was given a different section of the pole to design and create a story around. Mr. Moir and his class decided to carve their section of the totem pole to represent a story entitled “Legend of the Bus” in honour of the manner in which they received the pole. Paint for the project was donated by the Hamilton Street Railway, which the Kindergarten children used as part of their contribution in undercoating the entire totem pole. The top section was carved to resemble a thunderbird with wings and metal eyes in remembrance of the thunder and ice storm in which the hydro pole was knocked down by the bus. Once the totem pole was completed in June 1967, the entire school took turns raising the pole on the front lawn, by pulling with skipping ropes. The Opportunity class and the grade 6 students dug a slanted 8 foot hole in preparation of the raising.
Programs & Services
Student Success Supports
- Perfect attendance – each term
- Daily Healthy Snack
- Dedicated Learning Resource Team
- Developed Book Room
- Small class sizes – excellent EA and LRT support
- Christmas Tree of Warmth
- Pizza/Pita/Sub Days
- Technology in each classroom
- Student Success Room
- Partnership with the Speech and Language Department
- All Day Kindergarten
- All students reading by the end of Grade 1
- School focus on a safe school climate
- Number Talks
- School focus on healthy active living
- REACH Program
- Go Girls Club
- Cross Country Team
- Track and Field
- Art Club
- Recycling Program
- Lunch Monitors
- Jump Rope for Heart
- Monthly assemblies – Principal Awards
After School Program or Activities
- Let’s Get Moving
- Bible Club
Our School Plan
- Intervention program for reading support
- Excellent planning skills and cross curriculum implementation
- Implementation of home reading program as mandated by the board
- Literacy program for Kindergarten
- Improve EQAO Reading and Writing results
- Create Shared Assessment
- Focus on Importance of Physical activity and a healthy lifestyle
- The Recycling Program
- Winter Skating Program
- Jump Rope for Heart
Parent & Community Involvement
- We have worked hard to help cultivate a relationship with parents and the community in general.
- We serve healthy snacks at morning recess times and hot lunches on special days. We have several strong community supported fundraisers. Monies from fundraising are used to support classroom curriculum materials, subsidize student field trips and sports teams and school events.
- Parkdale School gives back to its community by hosting food drives and through special events; one being The “Tree of Warmth”. This is a special project that provides scarves, hats and mittens to those who need. Many thanks to all those helping hands involved.
- Community movie nights are held four times a year.
- The education of our children is a partnership between the school, parents and the students themselves. Our Council strives to help develop this partnership by helping make the environment welcoming and by letting parents know that they can always come to Council if they have a concern.
- Parkdale School has partnered with Public Health Service to be recognized as a Health Promoting School. Our Public Health Nurse supports families via a Parents Corner Group on Wednesday mornings.