Please feel free to contact the Co-op teacher if you would like more information about the variety of experiential learning opportunities offered through Co-op.
Teacher: A. Zychowicz
Contact: (905) 662-3838 ext 356
Cooperative Education is a ministry approved program that allows students to earn secondary school credits while completing a work placement. The program consists of a co-op course monitored by a cooperative education teacher, a related curriculum course in any subject and a work placement.
Students can apply two co-op credits towards their compulsory high school graduation requirements, with no llimit on earning optional co-op credits. Co-op placements are arranged for students by their secondary school and must follow Ministry of Education policy and guidelines.
WHO IS IT FOR?
Co-op programs are for secondary students who are heading for apprenticeship, college, university or the workplace.
Co-op students have the opportunity to:
- Experince hands-on learning
- “Test-drive” career options
- See the relevance of their classroom learning
- Earn credits through workplace experience
- Develop the essential skills and habits required in the workplace
- Gain valuable work experience that will help build a resume for post secondary programs and future employment
CO-OP OPPORTUNITIES AT ORCHARD PARK
- 1 credit co-op
- 2 credit co-op
- 4 credit co-op
- Summer Co-op
Co-op at Orchard Park connects to the following specialized programs:
Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) Programs
- Arts & Culture
- Health & Wellness
- Hospitality & Tourism
Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP)
- Regular OYAP
- Accelerated OYAP combining College and Placement experiences in a Skilled Trade
Dual Credits with Mohawk College (Fennel and Stoney Creek Campuses)
- Cable 14
- Hamilton Health Sciences
- City of Hamilton
- Crown’s Attorney Office
- Hamilton Police Services
- St. Joseph’s Healthcare
- The Art Gallery of Hamilton
- and more!
- Building Careers From the Ground Up (Skilled Trades)
- Healthcare Support Services
- Canadian Armed Forces (Militia Co-op)
Please visit the following HWDSB links for more information on HWDSB Experiential Learning opportunities:
|Program Name||HWDSB Link|
|Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM)||http://www.hwdsb.on.ca/secondary/programs/shsm/|
|Ontario Youth Apprenticeship (OYAP)||http://www.hwdsb.on.ca/secondary/programs/ontario-youth-apprenticeship-program-oyap/|
To further explore the above Experiential Learning opportunities and their application process, please follow this link: