8:55 AM - 3:15 PM
French Immersion is available.
Visit our child care website.
Rene Content - 905.575.9808 | Email Rene Content
Chantel La Croix (.5)
SuperintendentPaul Denomme - 905.527.5092 x 2304 | E-mail Paul Denomme
TrusteeDawn Danko - 289.775.0269 | E-mail Dawn Danko
School Council Chairs
Administrative Office Staff
Mme Julie Finlay, Mme Annie Beattie
Norwood Park is a unique, highly successful single track Grade 1 – Grade 8 French Immersion School located near Upper James and Mohawk Road. This year we have 488 students and over 33 teaching and support staff. Our school offers a stimulating bilingual programme in a diverse learning environment. There is an emphasis on developing character with a focus on academic achievement and the development of positive social skills through a strong extra curricular programme in the arts, sports and charitable activities.
A future in which all students achieve their full potential in a bilingual, diverse and safe environment.
- Educate our students to become lifelong learners and to seek creative and challenging opportunities.
- Encourage acceptance of cultural diversity.
- Provide a stimulating bilingual environment.
- Provide an inviting and inclusive learning environment.
- Provide a positive, respectful learning environment for all school members.
Programs & Services
Student Success Supports
- Weekly/Monthly review of student progress: Interventions for At Risk students in Math/Reading/Writing in two languages for all divisions.
- Continuous use of data to identify at risk students: Assessments EQAO, DRA/GB+, Cat 3, Casi, EQAO Interval Data, Classroom Assessments.
- Students supported in two Languages with bilingual Resource Teachers
- Cross graded Enrichment Group.
- Booster Reading Club
- Transition support/activities for Gr. 8.
- Believe In Achieving Student Recognition Awards
- Win it Assemblies
- Implementation of Seven Correlates of Effective Schools.
- Implementation of Balanced Literacy and Reading and Writing Processes
- Junior and Intermediate Involvement in Concours at School and Bd. Level
- Emphasis on Character Development with school wide focus on one
- attribute each month: Celebration of Student Success, Believe In Achieving Awards
- Support of diversity and equity in a bilingual environment.
- Development of Professional Learning Communities to support student achievement
- Mad Science, Flexx Sports
- Checkers Club
- Booster Reading Club
- Year Book Club, Grad Club
- Recycling, Chip Sales
- Step Dancers, Office Helpers, Library Helpers, Morning Announcers
Before/After School Program or Activities
- Music :Concert Band, Primary,Junior /Senior Choirs,
- Recorder Group
- Sport Teams: Cross Country ,Track and Field,
- Three Pitch Softball, Basketball, Volleyball
- Sports: Intramural Programme Gr.1 to Gr. 8
- After School Homework Progarmme
- YMCA before and after school Programmes
- Peer Mediators
- St. Donat Ski Trip Gr. 7 and 8
- Strings Programme
- Norwood Leaders: Athletics, Fundraising Activities, Multi Cultural Events
Book Fairs, Curriculum Night, French Café, Concerts
Our School Plan
- Professional Learning Communities – Structures and processes created so teams can meet to set SMART GOALS in Literacy/Math/ French Oral Skills
- Expansion of Leveled Book room to include Junior/Intermediate
- Implementation of Balanced Literacy in all grades(Weekly, Shared, Modeled, Guided, Independent)and Reading and Writing Processes
- Continued use and implementation of Reading and Writing Posters and Write Traits in English and French to support Balanced Literacy
- Reading Comprehension strategies implemented in all grades
- Implementation of Text and Writing forms by Grade levels
- School wide home reading programme in French and English
- Review of Math Manipulatives (Find new ways of incorporating manipulatives into the programme) Continued implementation of school wide math text.
- Problem of the Week in Math in all classrooms (Focus on common language to communicate mathematical thinking)
- Staff in-services assisted by Literacy Coach, Direction Team and Programme Effectiveness Consultants Re: Assessment and Effective Instructional Practices in Balanced Literacy and Communication in Math (Use of EQAO data )
- Curriculum Night for Parents
- Focus on 3 R’s: Respect Responsibility and Results
- Character Development: School wide focus on monthly attributes :Character Counts
- School wide Anti Bullying Initiative.
- Revision of Code of Conduct.
- Increase parental participation and understanding of school’s programme, initiatives, goals and expectations through “Together We’re Better Sessions”
- Parental Involvement Group Activities
- Monthly Assemblies to celebrate Student Success
- Intermediate Leadership Roles: Lunch Room Monitors, Norwood Leaders
- Anti Bullying, Peer Mediation, Equity Committees
- Continue to implement Ron Moorish 10 Skills for all Students
- Black History Events, Participation in MLK Celebration at Hamilton Place
- Guest Speakers Presentations Re: Bullying, Literacy
- Diversity Celebrations, Days Of Significance
- Charitable Events to promote Global Citizenship
Parent & Community Involvement
- Partners with YMCA
- Community volunteers in classrooms
- Canadian Parents for French
- Secondary Co op Programmes
- Charities: Terry Fox Run, Jump Rope for Heart, Free the Children –Adopt a Village , Good Shepherd , Partnered with Stinson School
- Brock University Teacher Internship
- Hamilton Wentworth Fire Department
- Hamilton Wentworth Police Services
- Public Health
- Hamilton Public Library
- Active and highly involved School Council. Parental involvement is encouraged and supported, as we know it is one of the most significant factors in a child’s success at school.
- Parental Involvement Group Activities
- Regular communication to our parents through monthly staff and classroom newsletters and monthly School Council Summaries
- School Council works collaboratively with staff on school initiatives: French Café, Curriculum Night, FI SK information Night, Beautification, Events and Promotion of FI
- Parents are involved in volunteering in classrooms, trips, school library and school initiatives.
- Development of strong school and family partnership with a focus on achievement and character development through regular communication, newsletters, agendas, consistent homework expectations.
- Together We’re Better Sessions provide progarmme information for parents. High attendance and support from our parents at all events.
- Parent involvement on Anti Bullying, Fundraising and Equity Committees.
- Parental Resource Materials available for Parents in School Library
- Support School Council’s Implementation of Ministry Grant to Enhance Communication