Bennetto Mental Health Awareness Week 2017
When: May 1-5, 2017
Target Age/Grades: K-6
- Raise Awareness and celebrate Mental Health Awareness Week.
- Teach students how to practice wellness including mindfulness strategies.
- Develop leadership in grade 6 students and promote inclusivity.
- Students in grade 6 were trained on what Mindfulness and Mental Wellness is.
- They were taught different strategies around practices to enhance one’s mindfulness and wellness.
- During Wellness week, students from grade 6 went to primary and junior classrooms to lead a mindfulness or wellness for 5 minutes.
- During this time in the afternoon, relaxing sounds were played over the PA and we took a pause to do these exercises.
- Also to start the day a belly breathing bell was played during the announcements.
On the Friday, all students at Bennetto were asked to wear Green to celebrate Mental Wellness week and we had an assembly. Students from Grade 6 made a movie about wellness and interviewed staff, students and administrators about what wellness and mindfulness means to them and how to attain it.
- Students had a more relaxing and focused start after the second nutrition break.
- There was a reduction in office referrals.
- Students were calmer and happier.
- Staff enjoyed the pause and it gave them a chance to prepare and be in calmer space.
- Halls were quiet and there was a calm soothing tone in the building.
- Staff wanted to incorporate these practices into their classrooms routinely and possibly make room for it in the schedule.
For more information contact:
John Efthimiadis – firstname.lastname@example.org
Kailah Taylor – email@example.com
«Adelaide Hoodless Mental Health Awareness Week | Westdale and Westmount Indigenous Cultural Exchange»