Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School – HWDSB Day of Difference: The “I Care” Conference
Target Age/Grades: Grades 9 to 12
- Many students are reluctant to access medical services that are not perceived to be “safe spaces” for members of the LGBTQ community. Encourage self-care.
- Discuss importance of feeling good about who you are – being the person you were meant to be.
- Make students feel happy and proud.
The 8th Annual Day of Difference at Sir Winston Churchill in April, invited students in the Positive Space Groups throughout the board, and other interested students, from the LGBTQ community and allies, to join in the one day “I Care” Conference. Students and staff attended seminars focused on physical, sexual and mental health presented by 4 guest speakers who were medical professionals. All students were encouraged to care for themselves.
10:00-10:15 – Arrival and Registration
10:50 – Seminar 1
11:30 – Pick up snack bag and proceed to Seminar 2
11:45 – Seminar 2
12:25 – Meet in Gym for Panel Discussion
1:10 – Announcements/Thank-you
1:25 – Network in the Cafeteria
Seminars provided by Dr. Carys Massarella, eminent advocate for transgender rights, Dr. Robert Kerr, who is working to make more family practices in Hamilton true Positive Spaces, Cameron Burns, R.N. Hamilton Sexual Health Clinics, and for School Staff Only, Deanna Clatworthy, Nurse from ARCH Clinic, Guelph (AIDS/transgender care) Public Educator.
- 170 people attended this great event. There was a strong sense of community for our LGBTQ community.
- Using the site TodaysMeet.com allowed students to anonymously ask questions of the speaker’s panel.
- Students were asked to write feelings or emotions they experienced that day and here’s a list of some of their comments: “Acceptance, Beautiful, Happy and Bright, Happy and humble, Inclusion, Loved, Accepted, Belonging, Pride, and Awesome”.
- It was the ultimate positive school climate.
For more information contact:
email@example.com 905-547-6415 x246
«Westdale ‘SPARK’ | Westdale Secondary School Pause Shuffle Play»