Memorial Elementary School is located at the corner of Main St. E. and Ottawa Street in East Hamilton. It is a beautiful building that opened on Saturday, October 18, 1919 by Prince of Wales (Edward). It was built as a memorial to the men and women who gave their lives in the World War I. Memorial school had the first indoor track in the city. It was in the basement of the school and in the later years was removed and was installed at the Armories where it was used for many years. It has a spacious Auditorium in the center of the school that was used for memorial services prior to the building of the cenotaph. In the early 1970’s, a second gym was built. In 1993 an addition (the Annex) was built that currently houses our library, computer lab, learning resource room, music room and other classrooms.
- It has an active School Council
- Instrumental music programme for Grade 6, 7 & 8
- Specialized daily PE programme
- 1 HWDSB Intermediate Special Education Classes
- Many clubs, teams and activities for our students organized by an energetic, enthusiastic staff
- School Dress Code – Shirt Uniform