The Code of Conduct establishes standards of behaviour that are consistent with the Provincial Code of Conduct and apply to all members of the school community. The Code of Conduct promotes respect within the learning and teaching environment, and sets clear Board and school standards of behaviour. The HWDSB believes that all individuals attending on Board or school property, on school buses, or at school-related events, should be treated with dignity and respect.
Mary Hopkins School and staff recognize the important of the partnership between the home and the school. This partnership is vital in establishing consistent patterns of appropriate behaviour and self-regulation in our children. We believe that the school environment should be positive and supportive and that interactions should be based on an attitude of mutual caring and respect.
Each member of the community has an important role to play.
Staff Roles / Responsibilities
Teachers and school staff will hold everyone to the highest standard of respectful/responsible behaviour by:
- Helping students work to their full potential and self-worth.Empowering students to be leaders in the class, school and community.Communicating regularly and meaningfully with parents.Maintaining consistent standards of behaviour for all students.
- Demonstrating respect for all members of the school community.
- Preparing students for the full responsibilities of citizenship.
- Modelling the character attributes of HWDSB.
Parent Roles /Responsibilities
Parents support a safe and respectful learning environment when they:
- Show an active interest in their child’s school work and progress.Communicate regularly with the school.Help their child be neat and appropriately dressed and prepared for school
- Ensure that their child attends school regularly and on time.
- Promptly report to the school the absence of their child or late arrival.
- Become familiar with the Code of Conduct and school rules;
Encourage and assist their child in following the rules of behaviour; and assist school staff in dealing with disciplinary issues involving their child.
The role of a Mary Hopkins student …
- When the bell rings, I proceed to line right away and I am quiet waiting to enter.
- When I walk in the hall, I am quiet and I walk on the right hand side of the hall.
- When I go outside, I make sure I have everything with me. I know I can’t go back in unless it is an emergency.
- I keep my hands and feet to myself. This keeps me and everyone at school safe.
- I only do and say things that are caring and respectful. I will watch what I say and how I say it, all words should be kind and respectful.
- I promise to stand up against bullying and speak out when I see it happening at school or on the school bus.
- I will follow classroom routines and I will always complete my work to the best of my ability.
- I will not bring electronic devices to school. Any other toy I have will be put away as soon as I enter the school.
- I follow the lunchroom rules. I will follow the instructions of my lunchroom monitors. I will stay in my seat unless I have permission to leave and I will use an indoor voice to talk to my friends.
- I remember that there are safety rules on my school bus. I will respect my driver, my bus monitors and the other students on my bus.