The Arts – Visual and Dramatic
- Department Head – Mrs. J. Kovar
- Assistant Department Head – Mr. A. Cowan
- Teachers: Ms. C. Barda, Ms. R. Surat-Mihajlovic, Ms. E. McDonald-Newton
- An ECO Film and Arts Festival was organized by Arts Hamilton for students to develop films, photographs, and art work to be displayed at Westdale Secondary,along with other eco activities around the city. We had three students who won prizes in the art event – April 10 – May 15;
- Saadet Arkhan won first prize for her piece, “Baggage” a mixed media piece made from paper, wood, and feathers,
- Jessa Laight won second prize for her work , “Preservation” – a photo sculpture,
- Honourable mention to Rachel Murphy and and Rosalyn Harakh for their recycled magazine bowl.
Waterfront Mural Project
Students in the grade 9 and 10 classes are painting a mural as part of a project for the City of Hamilton and Bayfront area. The theme deals with what the waterfront means to them and will be displayed on the Victoria Day Weekend, as part of a permanent installation of work by Hamilton area students.
Arts Week – April 26 – 30
A week long celebration of the arts took place in April with a focus on music, art, and drama. An art gallery in the cafeteria was very successfull with great feedback from staff and students. “Get cultured” was this year’s theme and had a popular culture and multicultural focus.
- Please click here for a link to our picture gallery.
New Classes in September
Don’t forget next semester! A new class is starting up in animation. Students will learn computer animation, claymation, and drawing techniques for producing animated characters, and videos.
Upcoming trip to the Art Gallery of Ontario to see the King Tut exhibition. Coming soon!