8:45 AM - 3:05 PM
Visit our child care website.
Erin Birch-Jones - 905.385.5369 | Email
SuperintendentLaura Romano - 905.527.5092 x 2622 | E-mail Laura Romano
TrusteeBecky Buck - 905.515.2367 | E-mail Becky Buck
School Council Chair
- Mike Palma
Administrative Office Staff
Holbrook is located on the west side of the mountain of Hamilton and was built in 1962. We are on a Balanced Day schedule.
Holbrook is home to a special education class: Junior Comprehensive. We are excited about housing the new “Enrichment and Innovation” Centre, which is a system program. Holbrook also offers a First Base before and after school program run by the YMCA, which supports over 20 children.
Programs & Services
Student Success Supports
- Book Fairs
- Literacy Days
- Adult Volunteers to support reading
- TRIBES school
- Special Education class
- ESL Volunteers
- Terry Fox Walk/Run
- Athletic events: Swim team, Cross-country, Track
- French Choir
- Library Helpers
- Recycling Team
- Moo Crew (student helpers with the milk program)
- TerraCycle Team (student helpers with the TerraCycle Program)
Before / After School Program
- YMCA First Base Program
Our School Plan
- We have a curriculum focus in both Literacy and Numeracy. The staff of the school from Junior Kindergarten to grade six supports the need for early intervention to develop a love of reading and writing, as it is a life skill that is required, to be successful. Using the document, “Transforming Learning Everywhere” we use “inquiry” to engage students in critical literacy and high order thinking.
- Language improvement for new Canadians is an identified area of focus.
Our Positive School Climate committee attends in-services and coordinates school events that encourage the TRIBES agreements; mutual respect, attentive listening, appreciation, right to pass/right to participate. Holbrook School has a very diverse culture and as a school we must be sensitive to the needs of all members of our community. We have a responsibility to ensure the safety of all. As a staff we have the responsibility to be role models for our students and parents.
Parent & Community Involvement
Holbrook students regularly visit and communicate with the elderly residents of Idlewyld Nursing home. The following are a sample of the activities that occur on a regular basis:
Halloween parade, Choir visits, and letter correspondence. Holbrook students have also participated in environmental cleanups in the neighbourhood.
Holbrook’s School Council is an active group that provides advice to the principal. This group is instrumental in running “Family Nights” throughout the year. Parents are involved in volunteering in the Nutrition program and Pizza lunches, support the library and help on educational class trips. Parents are heavily involved in fundraising to provide extra resources for the student community like: technology, physical education equipment to support and encourage physical activity, guest speakers and other School council endeavors. School Council was involved in the financing and construction of a play structure on City of Hamilton property next to Holbrook School. School Council generously gives support to various fund raising themes to support those in need. Parents have helped Holbrook School raise over $4000 to support events and technology.