8:45 AM - 2:45 PM
Michele Moore - 905.525.2140 | Email
Todd Graves | Email
SuperintendentPeggy Blair - 905.527.5092 x 2625 | E-mail Peggy Blair
TrusteeChristine Bingham - 289.339.6902 | E-mail Christine Bingham
School Council Chairs
Administrative Office Staff
Glenwood is a small school that provides unique opportunities for students with special needs. The students and staff work hard to project a positive message of student potential and possiblity within the community. We have small class settings and an enabling environment which offers individualized programmes and group activities for all students.
As a Special Day School, Glenwood offers every student the opportunity to reach their full potential. Our students may participate in or have access to:
- Special School/Class events
- Kinesiologist to assist with specialized physical needs and programmes and train staff to safely care for students and use specialized equipment
- Communication Disorder Assistant to assist with verbal and non-verbal communication skills (signing, picture symbols and technology)
- Life Skills Coach to train and support students to take on real life work experiences both at school and in the community.
- Developmental Specialist devotes time between classes of students which require more specific (one-to-one) sensory development
- Classrooms: Each class is grouped based upon several criteria. (ie. age, ability level, physical or social-emotional needs, gender). The student groupings are flexible and changes may be made to provide more effective programming or to accommodate the arrival of new students. Glenwood provides an educational programme for school aged students (age 5 to 21) who have an intellectual disability.
Programs & Services
Student Success Supports
- Qualified Special Education Teachers
- Qualified Educational Assistants
- Life Skills Coach
- Developmental Specialist
- Communication Disorder Assistant (C.D.A.)
- Small class settings
- Class and school barbeques
- Daily Physical Activity including a modified exercise programme
- Life Skills Room – Glenwood Apartment & Laundry Area
- Snoezelen Room (a complete room dedicated to sensory exploration, it is a delight to the eyes, ears and sense of touch for students with a broad spectrum of disabilities and physical impairments)
- An interactive playground which is wheelchair accessible
Our School Plan
- Glenwood is considered an “alternative program”. As such each student has an Individual Educational Plan designed to respond to their needs.
- The vision is one of students moving “toward independence” through the development of skills geared to student ability as well as maximized life skills and communication training.
- As a Special Day School each student has the opportunity to improve their performance and achievement at a variety of different levels in every aspect of the programme. Each class promotes hands-on learning through a variety of manipulatives and resources.
- Glenwood works cooperatively with community agencies and parents to provide a continuum of programme and support between home, school and the community. The staff are very flexible and work together as a cohesive unit to provide the learning tools and environment to ensure student success.
- Glenwood was the first school in the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board to introduce a multi-sensory room. The Snoezelen Room provides students with an environment for ‘quality leisure activity’ and sensory exploration. All classes presently at Glenwood School have a scheduled block of time, per week, for participation in the Snoezelen Room. Students are able to relax and have the opportunity to choose a self-paced activity.
- The goal is to create a safe, non-threatening environment where students can be exposed to multisensory experiences. Our Snoezelen Room is filled with visual displays, colourful soft play objects, and electronic devices which can be held or admired. The calming environment is designed to heighten awareness, focus attention and reduce feelings of agitation by providing gentle stimulation of the senses, tactile, visual and auditory. It is a truly unique sensory experience.
Parent & Community Involvement
- The Glenwood community is a unique blend of society as a whole. Although we are located in one neighbourhood our students come from all areas of the city and outlying county areas.
- Glenwood has a supportive School Council which meets on the second Wednesday of each month. Members of the council are dedicated to supporting students through school events and initiatives. Members of the School Council have been instrumental in organizing an annual Golf Tournament and Walk & Roll Event to raise funds to assist with student focused programs. Money raised has assisted us with the purchase of sensory equipment for the Snoezelen room, school trips, technology, and other school activities.