What to know about cannabis legalization
As of October 17, 2018, it will be legal for individuals 19 and older to buy, use, possess and grow recreational cannabis. It is illegal to provide cannabis to someone under the age of 19. This is the same as the minimum age for the sale of tobacco and alcohol in Ontario.
It is illegal for anyone to smoke or vape cannabis:
- at school, on school grounds, and all public areas within 20m of these grounds
- on children’s playgrounds and public areas within 20m of playgrounds
- in child care centres, or where an early years program is provided
- in places where home child care is provided – even if children aren’t present
A Principal shall consider whether to suspend a pupil if they believe:
- The pupil is in possession of alcohol, illegal drugs or cannabis (unless a medical use).
- The pupil is under the influence of alcohol or cannabis (unless a medical use) shall lead to a suspension.
A Principal shall suspend a pupil if they believe:
- The pupil gave alcohol or cannabis to a minor. Note: The Principal shall conduct an investigation to determine whether to recommend to the Board that the pupil be expelled.
At HWDSB, we want families and students to be informed about the facts of cannabis legalization. Please see the following documents to learn more: