How do students get the opportunities for Apprenticeship?
For many students, the road to an apprenticeship begins with a co-op placement. Employers value the skills that co-op students learn and students have opportunities to see if the skilled trades are right for them.
- OYAP (Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program) – begin your apprenticeship while they are in high school.
- Mohawk College – “Dual Credit” programs for high school students that can combine coop and college credits
Can you get Apprenticeship Training BEFORE you are a signed Apprentice?
Mohawk College has introduced Pre-apprenticeship training courses. Find out which areas of skilled trades are being taught and when these courses are available by visiting the Apprenticeship page of the Mohawk College website.
How do you get information on Apprenticeships or jobs in the skilled trades?
- Skilled Trades – what job opportunities are in the skilled trades?
- Employment Ontario has information on apprenticeships
- Apprenticesearch.com website helps connect employers and apprentices
- Ontario School Counsellor’s Association has information on apprenticeships
- link to Career Cruising : Each student will have their own username HW-student number and password
- check out Mohawk College for apprenticeship programs