[Skip to Content]
A.M. Cunningham

HWDSB Launches We Help Campaign to Build Culture of Help

[Skip to Content]
Textsize
A+ A-

We Help poster imagesHamilton-Wentworth District School Board (HWDSB) is launching an extensive well-being campaign to build a culture of help in every school and department.

The We Help campaign – developed with input from students, staff and families – encourages helping and help-seeking behaviours, knowing that we all need help at times. It will also entail classroom discussion and skill-building so that all students know how to help each other.

“We Help supports positive cultures in our schools and departments, so that everyone knows that help exists, that we all have a role in helping and that there are clear pathways to find help,” said Director of Education Manny Figueiredo.

This school year, We Help will involve a poster campaign; videos of students sharing examples of helping behaviour; a rebranded reporting app HWDSB Helps (formerly TipOff) for anonymously sharing concerns; presentations to staff and much more. Schools have been invited to highlight We Help’s message during Mental Health Week, which is May 7-13, 2018.

“Schools are doing great work and we want to complement their efforts,” Figueiredo said. “Building a culture of help will support our work on mental well-being, inclusion, safe schools, staff well-being and healthy schools.”

Student voice is central in the campaign, including contributions from Student Trustees Morghen Jael and Ruby Hye. “Student well-being is so important because when you feel well, you can learn at your best and better enjoy life,” Jael said. “Helping people doesn’t need to be complicated; something as simple as saying hello to people each day can make a difference,” Hye added.

HWDSB embraces Positive Culture and Well-being as one of its five strategic priorities. We Help supports the goal to have all students and staff feel safe, supported and accepted.

-30-

Media Contact:

Shawn McKillop, APR
Manager, Communications and Community Engagement
T: 905.527.5092 x2941
C: 905.515.6227

Updated on Monday, April 30, 2018.
Back to the top